You need to know this if you're letting a property in Clapham (or elsewhere)
Here we go, another regulatory update. You will, as a savvy investor and landlord, know about the various bits of paper that you need to give your new tenants upon move-in. Alas this list is an ever-changing one! This month the government has launched an updated version of the "How To Rent" booklet.
In the know
(Before move-in/signing tenancy agreement you must give the tenant(s) a copy of: (and make sure they are either a pdf via email or hard copy, NOT a link)
2. Gas safety certificate (in date of course and it must be valid for 1 month after the date of move-in)
3. How To Rent Booklet which you can download here
4. Tenancy Agreement
5. Inventory and check-in report
6. Deposit registration information (within 30 days)
Here are a few important notes:
- Take special care that you give them an updated version of the HTR booklet (link above)
- They must have seen the EPC (and if you are letting after 1st April 2018 your property must be rating E or above) before signing the tenancy agreement (so that they will have time to ascertain their outgoings based on the energy efficiency of the property)
- Not giving the tenant(s) any of the above documents prejudices your position when seeking possession of the property, so make sure that your paperwork is in order!
So there you have it, a brief list of the documents that you need to give your new tenant(s) before they take possession. Make sure that you are complying in order to prevent problems further down the line. If you'd like to read more articles head over to www.claphampropertyblog.com. If you'd like to join me and other local investors for a nice social evening of property come along to the Clapham Property Meet! Hope to see you soon.